Table of Contents Hide
- What is Leadership Coaching?
- What are the Pros and Cons of Coaching Leadership?
- What are Leadership Coaching Styles?
- What are Leadership Coaching Quotes?
- What are Leadership Coaching Services?
- What are Leadership Coaching Topics?
Do you know that can bell out the leader in you through leadership coaching? You can make a difference in your team or organization, by adopting this skill to enhance performance. Therefore, an increasing number of the study indicate that leadership coaching can make a great difference in the workplace. Thus we’re delighted to introduce this article to you as a practical explanation of what leadership coaching is, its style, quotes, and services.
Before we dive into what leadership coaching is all about, let’s define leadership and coaching as different terms.
As a practical skill, leadership is the ability to lead, guide or influence a team or an organization to carry out a specific function toward achieving a set goal
Coaching is a form of development in which an expert supports a learner or client in achieving a specific personal or professional goal by providing training and guidance.
What is Leadership Coaching?
Leadership coaching is an effective management discipline tool that helps business heads at all levels in the leadership skills themselves to speed up performance. You can only be a coaching leader when you are able to develop and improve the performance and competencies of your employees. Therefore it’s better we get acquainted with it because it is often found in most workplaces.
Meanwhile, leadership coaching is intended to improve the traditional “command and control management” in the rapidly changing organizational environment. It helps leaders improve their relationships and performance in organizations.
No leader knows it all. Therefore we all depend on others to make progress. Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your own leadership style can help you better distinguish which approach is best for you.
What are the Pros and Cons of Coaching Leadership?
Generally, the leadership coaching style is viewed as a positive and effective form of leadership. Yet it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have some drawbacks. Below are a few pros and cons of leadership coaching.
- Encourages two-way communication and collaboration
- It involves lots of effective feedback
- Focuses on being supportive, not judgmental
- It promotes growth and creative thinking
- Resource intensive since it requires a lot of time and energy
- It does not provide effective and efficient results
- It is not an ideal choice for high-pressure or strictly results-driven companies
What are Leadership Coaching Styles?
The Coaching Leadership Style is a new guiding leadership style. Oftentimes, many people develop their own style of leadership depending on factors such as experience, personality, core values, and the culture of their organization. In this section, we are going to unleash you with a few leadership coaching styles.
Read Also: DECISION-MAKING STYLES: Understanding the 4 Decision Making Styles for Leaders
#1. Autocratic Coaching
Autocratic coaching keeps the leader(coach) in control at all times while aiming for perfection. It is a rigid form of administration. The coach directly distributes tasks to team members rather than opening a dialogue between the leaders and the employees. This approach makes employees feel fearful in their working environment.
Democratic coaching involves improved communication and decision-making. This style can take longer to notice the results. However, it can be very effective. The team takes on the project and explores solutions together.
This style allows the team freedom and accountability. Besides, the coach only steps in when they are needed to during the process. Individuals on the team feel self-empowered and are in control of what they are responsible for while being encouraged to give input.
#3: Holistic Coaching
This is the most common style of leadership coaching all. Adopting this style will definitely encourage growth by teaching employees the assumptions so that individuals can achieve balance in their job specifications.
This type of coaching often takes time to achieve results. Therefore, there are possibilities that more mysterious problems may come up, but many employers find success with this style and grow closer with their team.
#4: Authoritarian coaching
Authoritarian coaching is an authoritative style of coaching. The coach makes decisions for the team without seeking the opinion of others. The employers are only expected to carry out their functions according to instructions. However, the benefit of this method is to inject discipline into the workplace. Meanwhile, an authoritative leader should at least have an atom of empathy else team members will not be free to give out the necessary information that might be useful to the company. Although it produces a fast result. Believe me, this-if you are too rigid you might not achieve development unless you are an ocean of knowledge.
#5: Vision coaching
Vision coaching empowers employees with a clear direction and a detailed plan for accomplishing their goals. Thus this style depends on feedback, observation, and open conversation in order to motivate team members.
Although this coaching style is more aggressive and short-term, it can work well in workplaces that need quick results. It is also useful when there are distinct outlined goals with hunting deadlines.
Read Also: INNOVATION LEADERSHIP STYLES AND CHARACTERISTICS
What are Leadership Coaching Quotes?
Below is a collection of leadership coaching quotes. Trust me! this is a great source of inspiration for both executives and employees. However, if these leadership quotes are not put into practice, the coach would not get a sustainable result.
- A coach should never be afraid to ask questions of anyone he could learn from. – Bobby Knight
- Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. – John Wooden
- Good coaching may be defined as the development of character, personality, and habits of players, plus the teaching of fundamentals and team play. – Claire Bee
- Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. – Henry Ford
- Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it. – Michael Jordan
What are Leadership Coaching Services?
Leadership coaching is one of the most effective tools available to drive leadership development to a sustainable height. It also helps leaders to unhitch their potential.
To be a successful leader, you must quickly conform and flourish in a changing environment. Great leaders guide and help others to conform and succeed in new environments. Here are some leadership coaching services
- Giving and receiving constructive, open feedback from team members
- Identify and collaboratively create action plans for future development
- Develop a sustainability plan to ensure successful implementation of task
- Identify other learned and skilled resources, that can help guide participants through their learning process
- Another leadership coaching service is to identify behaviors that are contributing to the leader’s success, as well as those limiting their growth.
What are Leadership Coaching Topics?
In this section, we’ll list you some leadership coaching topics that are most frequently treated.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Productivity and time management
- Delegating task
- Self Confidence
In Summary, Notwithstanding the drawbacks of leadership coaching, we believe that the benefits surpass the downsides. Thus we encourage organizations to reinvest in developing the leadership coaching that appeals to their organization.