Among the most well-known car insurance providers are Geico and The Hartford. Hartford’s car insurance is not the most affordable option for most motorists. Hartford Insurance has received an A+ rating from both the BBB and AM Best reviews for its dependability and financial stability. Hartford’s car insurance cost depends on several factors, like your age, driving history, location, and coverage.
Hartford Car Insurance Review
Hartford may be a good choice for AARP members, especially when taking into account the higher rates that other insurance providers charge senior citizens. However, young drivers may not benefit as much from the policies. When it comes to auto and home insurance, Hartford is hard to beat thanks to its long history and trustworthy reputation. The Hartford has received an A+ rating from both the Better Business Bureau and AM Best for its dependability and financial stability.
For retirees who value personalized attention and are willing to pay a little more for it, The Hartford could be a good option. The Hartford is exclusive to American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) members. To apply for AARP membership, you must be at least 50 years old.
There is a wide range of coverage choices, useful optional extras, and attractive discounts available through The Hartford’s AARP auto insurance program. It is limited to AARP members, though, and our research indicates that other businesses might provide more affordable rates.
Types of Insurance from The Hartford
In addition to car insurance, The Hartford offers the following policies:
- Hartford homeowners insurance protects you from financial ruin in the event of a disaster by paying for repairs to your home and belongings as well as hotel bills if your residence is uninhabitable.
- The Hartford offers business insurance to guard against financial losses incurred in the course of doing business. It also aids in the replacement of lost wages due to work-related injuries or illnesses.
- Renter’s insurance safeguards policyholders’ property in the event of covered perils like fire, theft, or natural disasters. In addition to liability claims, coverage includes medical payments, living costs, and property damage.
- Condo insurance: This protects you from losing your personal belongings, being sued, and other costs that come up because of your condo. You can tailor the plan to fit your specific requirements and financial situation.
- It also provides life insurance and disability insurance as perks for workers.
The Hartford Eligibility Criteria
Even though The Hartford is a national insurer, not everyone can purchase auto insurance through them. Only AARP-member drivers 50 years of age or older are eligible to purchase new policies from the company. One of The Hartford’s primary perks is providing its members with access to low-cost car insurance. While The Hartford does not actively target young drivers, they do allow younger drivers to be covered under family policies.
Coverage From Hartford’s Auto Insurance
Hartford is a nationwide insurance provider that services a wide range of policy types. Some of the more common choices you might have access to, depending on the state you live in, are as follows:
- Bodily injury liability car insurance
- Property damage liability insurance
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage
- Comprehensive insurance
- Collision coverage
- Medical payment coverage (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
In addition to liability insurance, some states mandate additional coverages for uninsured or underinsured motorists or PIP. When you buy a full-coverage policy, you get both collision and comprehensive coverage.
The Hartford Car Insurance Quote
Similar to most other car insurance companies, The Hartford will base your quote on several things, such as your age, where you live, credit score, and driving record. Your insurance premiums will most likely increase if you have a low credit score. Your insurance will cost more if you have a history of having tickets or accidents.
Discounts on Car Insurance from Hartford
Those who purchase auto insurance from The Hartford can take advantage of several money-saving discounts. Among the most significant is a potential 10% savings as an AARP member. Since The Hartford exclusively offers plans to AARP members, this discount applies to the majority of customers. Hartford allows AARP members to include their children and grandchildren on their car insurance policies, but those younger drivers are not eligible for the AARP discount.
The Hartford offers competitively priced car insurance, and discounts can reduce your premium. The insurance company offers standard discounts such as those for bundling policies, safe driving, and airbag installation. However, there are no discounts for having multiple vehicles insured, good grades, or a claim-free driving record.
Hartford Car Insurance Claims
Online claim submission is available to Hartford policyholders through the company website. Both the mobile app and the phone service make it easy to report accidents and get the claims process started conveniently.
Hartford Car Insurance Mobile App
The Hartford developed a mobile app that is jam-packed with useful features to enhance the service it offers to its customers. The straightforward design of the app makes it easy for policyholders to look up details about their coverage, review policy documents, file claims, and get emergency roadside assistance. This handy app makes it easy to take care of business while traveling that involves insurance.
The Hartford Car Insurance
This is an insurance provider that offers numerous plans. The Hartford is an insurance company that focuses on customers over the age of 50 who are driving regularly. The Hartford has partnered with AARP to provide discounts to its members.
Through a collaboration with The Hartford, AARP can provide auto insurance to its members. The Hartford’s AARP auto insurance policies might include these perks by default:
- With RecoverCare, you will not have to worry about paying for services like snow removal that you can not perform after a car accident that leaves you injured. Availability may differ from one state to another.
- New car replacement: This includes payment for a brand-new vehicle in the event of a total loss. The Hartford will give you the cash equivalent of a brand-new car with the same make, model, and features.
- Lifetime Repair Insurance: Free maintenance and repairs for as long as you own the vehicle, provided that they are performed at a facility that has been pre-approved.
- Accident forgiveness: To put it simply, if all listed drivers on your policy have been accident-free for the prior five years, your premium will not go up after your first accident. Unfortunately, California does not offer accident forgiveness.
The Hartford also sells supplemental insurance and benefits, such as gap coverage, which reimburses you for the difference between your car’s purchase price and the insurance company’s settlement in the event of theft or total loss.
- In the event that your pet is injured in a car accident while traveling with you, pet injury coverage will pay for necessary veterinary care.
- If you lose your keys or if they are stolen, you can use your key replacement insurance to get new ones.
- This lowers your collision deductible if you keep up a spotless driving record. It is called a disappearing deductible. This service is not offered in California at this time.
- Insurance discounts for AARP members
- Discounts of all kinds
- Usage-based pricing scheme
- Provides accident forgiveness and a new vehicle replacement.
- Excellent ratings from customers
- Local agents provide more personal service.
- Available in select states only.
- Customer feedback is mixed.
- This is not a good option for those under the age of 50.
The Hartford Car Insurance Cost
The average cost of a full coverage car insurance policy from The Hartford is $2,715, or monthly, while a liability-only policy costs $862, or $72 monthly.
Hartford’s car insurance costs for drivers 55 years old and over with clean driving records come to almost $2,715 annually, or $226 per month, on average. This is approximately 6% more expensive than the national average for this age group, which is approximately $1,767 per year or $147 per month.
For the vast majority of motorists, insurance from The Hartford falls somewhere in the middle of the price spectrum. This applies to drivers who purchase either comprehensive insurance or liability insurance. Insurance premiums for drivers with moving violations like speeding are very high, but they are relatively low for new drivers.
Getting quotes from multiple insurance companies and comparing them can help you find the most affordable policy options.
Geico vs Hartford Car Insurance
Both GEICO and The Hartford are well-known names in the car insurance industry, but The Hartford’s specialization in serving customers aged 50 and above sets it apart from the competition. Insurance premiums from GEICO are typically much cheaper than those from The Hartford. In terms of insurance, Geico is well-known for its generally low rates, while The Hartford is well-known for its dedication to its senior customers.
To some extent, GEICO’s success as one of the most well-known auto insurers today can be attributed to the company’s extensive online resources. In addition to being able to file a claim and track your policy and payments online, the GEICO website is packed with other helpful features.
GEICO is well-known not only for its online tools but also for the numerous savings opportunities it provides. GEICO, for instance, offers discounts to customers who meet various criteria, such as employment, military service, a clean driving record, good grades, and more.
In addition, GEICO claims that its new customers can save an average of $500 by switching to the company. Instead of using independent agents, GEICO goes straight to the customer to provide excellent service and comprehensive insurance policies.
The Hartford offers auto insurance policies with lifetime renewal, guaranteed rates for 12 months, and 24/7 claims service. In the event of a total loss, you can purchase optional new car replacement coverage from this company to get a brand-new vehicle of the same make, model, and features.
Complaints About Hartford Auto Insurance
The Hartford has mixed reviews when it comes to how well it handles claims, but it consistently receives high marks for customer service.
Those who have used The Hartford’s services have generally positive things to say about the company. Although some dissatisfaction has been voiced regarding claims servicing, most customers have reported being pleased with their final payouts.
Is Hartford Car Insurance any Good?
The Hartford is a reliable auto insurance provider. It affordably provides good coverage options. The Hartford is in charge of overseeing insurance for AARP. The Hartford provides excellent auto insurance to all customers, but AARP members benefit the most from their policies. The Hartford’s rates for senior drivers are typically lower than the national average, and the company’s extra perks set it apart from the competition.
Is Hartford Insurance Competitive?
When you take into account all of the available discounts, the service provider might have some of the most affordable prices on the market to offer to AARP members in particular.
What Is the Lawsuit Against Hartford Insurance?
The Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Co. is still being sued over a data breach that was supposedly found in May and told customers about in August. At least three group lawsuits have been sent to the Connecticut District Court.
How Long Has Hartford Insurance Been Around?
It was started in 1810 in Hartford, Connecticut. Established in 1810, The Hartford has more than 200 years of experience in the insurance business. by Nathaniel Terry. The Hartford started as a fire insurance company and later grew to include car insurance in the 1900s. It now offers insurance for cars, homes, and renters.
Is Hartford a Big Company?
The Hartford, short for The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., is an American insurance and investment firm. As its name suggests, The Hartford is a Fortune 500 company with its main office in the city of Hartford, Connecticut. In 2020, it came in at number 160 on the Fortune 500 list.
The Hartford may offer reasonable rates for those over the age of 50. Whether you are shopping for home insurance, car insurance, business insurance, or retirement planning services, The Hartford is a solid option. However, it is also wise to shop around for the best auto insurance rate by comparing quotes from multiple companies.
- THE HARTFORD BUSINESS INSURANCE REVIEW (2023)
- THE BEST INSURANCE FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS 2023
- Business Renters Insurance: Coverage & Best Practices
- STATE FARM AUTO INSURANCE REVIEW 2023
- CATERING INSURANCE: What Is It & Who Needs It?