Table of Contents Hide
- The Best POS Systems For a Small Business
- Frequently Asked Questions
POS systems facilitate contactless payments and online sales, enhancing the consumer experience, facilitating inventory and sales tracking, and employee productivity. In addition, your POS system allows for smooth transitions between in-store, over-the-phone, and online transactions. Choosing the best retail POS systems for a small business might be difficult due to the abundance of available options.
We analyzed the top 5 point-of-sale systems and made side-by-side comparisons.
We evaluated various systems based on their user-friendliness, available features, cost, and quality of customer care.
The Best POS Systems For a Small Business
Square’s POS software and hardware have been popular among restaurants and other small companies since the company’s inception in 2009.
Square is the ideal point-of-sale system for small businesses because of the platform’s flexibility and the range of price plans it offers.
Square’s three pricing tiers all provide the same convenient payment integrations.
The 2.9% + $0.30 price for credit card processing is included in the Free Plan, but the same fee is included in the Professional Plan, which costs $12 monthly for more services.
With the Performance plan, you may expect to pay $26 for even more services, but the processing fee remains the same.
For an additional $72, you can get processing fees of 2.6% + $0.30 lower with the premium plan.
A Square register is worth the $799 investment for most small businesses. However, the company also sells mobile square readers and iPad stands if you want to tailor your setup.
Included in all three pricing tiers, as usual, are:
- Scanning barcodes
- Possibility of invoicing and the use of e-gift cards
- Capabilities for making sales on Instagram
- Check out sales data for items that are running low or out of stock
- Logging Time
- Recording Work Hours
Choose from well-liked Square layouts like these:
- Free: It does not cost you anything to check inventory, review sales reports, or manage your staff while simultaneously selling in-person or over the internet.
- Professional: Create your unique website for just $12 per month and avoid Square branding.
- Performance: You may access advanced reporting, reviews, marketing options, and more for the low monthly price of $26.
- Premium: Monthly cost is $72. It boasts better performance features and a lower overall processing price.
In addition, Square offers interfaces with the tools you use for your small business. Simply navigate to the dashboard of your account to connect your POS system with the following:
- QuickBooks Online
You can get more out of your services by adding other services, such as payroll programs, loyalty programs, and email marketing.
Suppose you are having trouble with your Square POS system. In that case, you can receive assistance by calling or emailing Square support, searching the seller community for solutions, or reading articles written by Square support.
Square POS systems for small business is one of the top out there.
Ehopper is another one of the top POS systems for small business retail.
eHopper has been offering a low-cost alternative to more expensive point-of-sale software for close to 15 years now.
The fact that it offers low-cost options while still providing entrepreneurs access to customer and inventory management tools makes it an obvious choice for the best value award in our competition.
The eHopper point-of-sale system has four options, each incorporating integrated credit card processing functionality.
The clients must pay an additional price to cover the merchant fees.
You will receive features such as these with any version you choose:
- Inventory management
- Print or email receipts
- Tip management
- Reporting options
- Customer management
One point-of-sale (POS) system is included in the price of each of the four plans, which each come with additional capabilities. The following are the four programs:
- Essential: You’ll have an easier time adjusting inventory, managing customer accounts, and making barcode labels for your products if you go with the free plan.
- Freedom: Options for tracking employee hours, notifications for low stock, and integration with QuickBooks are included in the monthly fee of $29.99.
- Restaurant: Standard POS functions, in addition to those for menu development, table management, and floor planning, are included in the monthly fee of $39.99.
- Omnichannel: The price, when purchased, is typically $49.99. This plan enables Meta sales and adds loyalty and e-commerce capabilities.
eHopper allows you to utilize pre-existing gear in addition to mobile devices such as Android tablets, iPods, Windows PCs, and Poynt terminals.
However, eHopper makes available for purchase a wide array of hardware alternatives, including the following:
- Hardware bundles
- Thermal printers
- Cash drawers
- Credit card terminals
eHopper does not offer a large number of integrations, but you have the option of purchasing an additional loyalty package along with your subscription.
If you need assistance with your POS system, contact customer service by phone, submit a support ticket, or chat with an agent online.
Additionally, the company provides access to an online information source. It is one of the top POS systems for small business retail.
TouchBistro is also one of the top affordable POS systems for a small business.
Restaurant owners can increase their food and beverage sales with cloud-based analytics provided by TouchBistro, which is supplied to restaurateurs.
- The iPad POS System
- Automatic processing of credit card payments
- Super simple to operate interface
- Requires heavy reliance on Apple goods
- Customer service is spotty at best.
TouchBistro is a provider of software that has been developed with the hospitality industry in mind.
The company has been in business since 2010.
TouchBistro is our top choice for the best point-of-sale (POS) system for restaurants since it includes restaurant-specific tools for inventory management and hardware designed specifically for restaurants.
Licenses for the TouchBistro point-of-sale software start at $69 per month.
You will receive a variety of tools and capabilities to assist with your operations when you use a TouchBistro system, such as the following:
- Controls at the tabletop that are easily accessible by touch
- Remote menu management
- Incorporating recipes is a cost-effective way to manage inventory.
- Gain access to the files and reports stored in the cloud.
You may get more out of your restaurant POS by adding additional services, some of which are offered by TouchBistro and include the following:
- System for making reservations for $229 per month
- Ordering on the internet for $50 per month
- A scheme for gift cards that costs $25 per month
You have the option of using your hardware or purchasing equipment from one of the hardware partners that TouchBistro works with, such as:
- Apple Mac Mini computer
- Apple TV
- Cash drawers
- Networking hardware
- iPad stands
- Payment devices
TouchBistro is compatible with well-known software packages like QuickBooks, Sage, and 7Shifts.
TouchBistro offers a wide variety of self-service choices if you experience any difficulties.
You can also reach them through e-mail, chat, or phone assistance, available around the clock. It is also one of the Best retail pos systems for a small business.
Vend is another one of the Free POS systems for small businesses. Retail software that is reliable and easy for your staff to learn to use in only a few minutes.
- There are no constraints on the products that can be sold.
- Functions independently of the network (Limited functions)
- Usability Focused Design
- Upgrading to the higher tier is mandatory. to use all-encompassing programs
- Adding more registers is a pricey endeavor.
Vend is a dependable provider of POS systems that are simple to operate and compatible with various types of equipment.
The company was established in 2010. Vend is our pick for the best POS systems for small business retail because of its sophisticated inventory management and analytics.
Vend has three plans, each covering one register at one location, although additional registers and locations can be purchased for an additional fee.
Every edition provides you with features that are intuitive to use and help support your business operations, such as the following:
- Online stock control in real time
- Ample Resources and Personnel
- Receipt templates that may be sent through email or printed
- Control of All Money Flows
- Stock-level management
- Simple to modify reports
- One’s smartphone as a control center
You will have access to the API, integrate payments and have POS capabilities with any of the three tiers.
Read Also: GOOD FAITH DEPOSIT: Reasons Why You Need It
A summary of the various plans and their associated costs:
- Lean: All of the regular features are included in this edition, which costs $69 per month when paid annually or $89 per month when paid monthly.
- Standard: If paid annually, the cost is $119; if paid monthly, the cost is $149. This bundle includes additional features such as accounting and e-commerce support.
- Advanced: If paid annually, the cost is $119; if paid monthly, the cost is $149. This bundle includes additional features such as accounting and e-commerce support.
You have various alternatives for the hardware, or you can use the equipment you already have.
You can use a Mac or Windows PC, and Vend offers bundles.
This POS software is compatible with the vast majority of credit card processing businesses, in addition to leading retail programs such as:
- QuickBooks Online
With Vend’s rapid support services, such as online or in-app live chat support available around the clock, email support, a phone center, and a comprehensive knowledge base, your retail store will have access to the customer assistance it requires.
From the convenience of your mobile dashboard, you can monitor in-store and online sales.
- There are no additional transaction fees on top of the interchange rates.
- Recovery of abandoned shopping carts is included in every strategy.
- Hardware that can be plugged in and used immediately
- With the Basic package, only two staff members can access the POS.
- The number of inventory locations is restricted.
Since 2004, Shopify has been offering e-commerce business owners capable online shopping services that are simple for store owners and provide a pleasant digital customer experience.
Shopify also offers these benefits to customers. Because of its extensive virtual features, it is the finest POS for online shopping.
Choosing a Shopify plan is the first thing you must do for the Shopify POS system.
The cost of these services, which range from $29 to $299 per month, covers your e-commerce website and your blog and includes numerous features.
Your costs for credit card processing are determined by the Shopify package you have.
Shopify gives you access to a wide variety of hardware ready to plug in and play, making it simple to tailor your store’s configuration.
You can select iPad stands, complete retail kits, tap, chip card readers, and more.
Shopify provides users with a help center available around the clock and a comprehensive knowledge base.
In our search for the best POS systems for small businesses, we looked at some aspects, such as the pricing and fees associated with subscriptions.
After researching more than a dozen different POS providers, we narrowed the field down to the winners in specific categories by identifying the Best POS systems for small businesses, inventory management, and retail use, respectively.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a basic POS cost?
For firms with a single POS terminal, monthly POS system prices can range anywhere from zero to over two hundred and thirty dollars.
Do all POS systems have monthly fees?
Yes. Most free POS systems for small businesses have a monthly fee.
Can I Buy My Own POS machine?
Yes, of course. You can purchase a POS machine for your business with the resources available.
How can I get a free POS machine?
The Baxi box is regarded as one of the finest and most convenient POS terminals.
What are the requirements to get a new POS machine?
- Valid means of identification
- Passport photographs.
- Bank Verification Number
- Current Account references.
- Evidence of business registration
- Start-up funds
- Bar Management Software: Top Best 9+ Bar & POS Options in 2023
- The 19+ Best POINT OF SALE SYSTEMS FOR SMALL BUSINESS in 2023 (Updated)
- Point Of Sale Systems: Best POS System For Businesses
- Customer Loyalty Software: Best Free Software for Small Business
- RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: Guide to Effective Restaurant Management