Installing a generator has become necessary in almost every residential, commercial, and industrial facility. A robust backup power system ensures the seamless continuity of operations and maintains the optimal comfort level for all occupants. While getting a backup generator is rudimentary, a transfer switch is equally important.
A generator transfer switch will improve the efficiency and safety of your backup power system. This article looks at the components, features, and benefits of a generator transfer switch kit.
The Components of a Generator Transfer Switch Kit
A generator transfer switch kit includes all the required components that are necessary to safely install a transfer switch in the electrical system. The included components are a transfer switch, wire connectors, a power inlet box, and a power cord.
The Features of a Generator Transfer Switch Kit
- A transfer switch is a critical component that allows facility owners to seamlessly switch the power source from primary to backup in situations of a power failure.
- With technology revolutionizing the different aspects of the electrical industry, the automatic transfer switch has emerged as an effective replacement for manual load transfers. It has not only made the entire process easy but also made it safe.
- A generator transfer switch kit continuously supervises the incoming voltage from the primary power source
- It triggers the generator to start working as soon as there is a difference in the power coming from the utility line.
- As soon as the generator reaches its full potential, the transfer switch seamlessly transfers the current from the utility line to the backup generator
- When the power returns, the generator transfer switch kit switches the power back to the utility line
The Benefits of a Generator Transfer Switch Kit
- A quality transfer switch kit makes the installation process quick and easy.
- A generator transfer switch kit ensures the continuity of business and industrial operations by providing a seamless flow of electricity.
- A transfer switch kit is a reliable electrical component that ensures the maximum safety of all the connected equipment. Moreover, it keeps the employees safe from risks associated with exposure to heavy loads.
- A generator transfer switch kit offers facility owners the flexibility to determine what equipment would be protected from an immediate shutdown during a power failure.
- An automatic generator transfer switch makes operations easy and allows the better allocation of human resources. The commercial, as well as industrial operators, can focus on how they can enhance the overall output of the facility instead of focussing on manually switching the power sources.
Some Important Considerations
There are some important things to keep in mind before going ahead with installing a generator transfer switch. The first consideration is of the type of switch transition. Here is a brief overview of the different types of switch transitions:
- Closed transition: This type of transition first establishes a connection with the new power source before disconnecting the older one. This is ideal for
- Open transition: In this type of transition, the load is disconnected before connecting it to a fresh source.
Another vital consideration is the electrical service provider that you will associate with for your generator transfer switch kit. We would recommend going ahead with a brand that has a team of experts who would first assess your requirement and then recommend a specification that aligns seamlessly with your facility.