Table of Contents Hide
Financial officers play a vital role in every company in terms of its financial or money management. Therefore, this article explained in detailed the finance officer, functions of a finance officer, job description, salary, qualifications, and skills. Nevertheless, financial officer vs accountant is also well explained indicating their difference and role in the financial sector. So, sit back as you explore your mind deeper on this amazing topic. First and foremost, who is a finance officer? Find out below.
Finance Officer is in charge of monitoring the financial transactions of a company. They also provide financial and administrative advice and support to fellow colleagues, the company’s clients, and stakeholders of a company. Meanwhile, the finance officers are also known as Chief Financial Officers. The post of finance officer in the financial sector is tasked with budget development, transactions tracking, and financial reports preparation. The reason for their role in the finance sector is that they have good and enough accounting and analytical skills.
Functions of a Finance Officer
Ensuring the use of a company’s resources involved in finance and ensuring compliance with financial regulations include various duties and functions. Therefore to keep a company’s finance resources flowing and at a balance stage, a finance officer carries out the following functions.
- Assist in the budget preparation.
- Help in creating and implementing financial policies to ensure adequate operation.
- Oversees data integrity in all financial reports.
- Keeping error-free and up-to-date records for all daily company transactions and changes.
- Prepare good balance sheets.
- Give a full assist to all financial audits.
- Oversees the processing of the company’s invoices.
- Generate Revenue growth ideas.
- Involved in investment opportunities analysis.
- He makes provision for customer service to clients.
- All bank deposits and payments are monitored by the finance officer.
- Ability to identify and resolve invoice issues, accounting errors, and other issues related to finances.
- Give support to the finance manager and executives with projects and tasks when required.
Finance Officer Job Description
We are looking for a highly-analytical and qualified Finance Officer for a job to take charge of the financial health of our company. This position requires you to take charge of accounting operations by managing our financial procedures to meet legal requirements. You should be familiar with budget planning, audits participation, monitoring the company’s transactions, and invoice preparation.
Our ideal candidate must show interest in account management activities, which include bank reconciliations, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. Meanwhile, as a finance officer to ensure your success in this job description, you must show in-depth knowledge of financial policies, procedures, and systems. In addition to posses excellent communicating skills with outstanding analytical and time management abilities.
Finance Officer vs Accountant
The finance officer and accountant both work with customers and businesses to improve their finances. However, finance officers monitor all other financial aspects of a business over a long period of time. On the other hand, accountants focuses mainly on financial records management and taxes.
Meanwhile, the explanation below analyzed the main similarities and differences between finance officers and accountants. For university graduates with an interest in the finance sector, these are two of the most common options. No doubt that each of these careers offers a rewarding path for outstanding reasons but finance officers have the most generous earnings. Please explore the explanation below to plan your financial career wisely.
#1. Finance Officer
As we discussed earlier above, a Finance officer gives a business a helping hand to achieve the financial goals that have been laid down in the long-term run. They also monitor investment decisions, prepare financial reports and run data analysis. However, this analysis help to find strategies in other to improve a company’s financial health. Generally, every finance officer stays well organized regarding the variety of documents on their desk.
Accountants take charge of a business’s day-to-day financial transactions by keeping track of every transaction. Meanwhile, financial statements and other types of reports that can be used in recommending an increase in profit are prepared by the accountant. Moreover, every accountant must ensure proper documentation of information as they work with many customers at a time.
Meanwhile, the work of an accountant could be personal or in a group depending on the customer’s request. But, good communication skill is required of every accountant so they can relate with their findings verbally and with written report format. In addition, they also need good analytical skills to translate data into suggestions that can be carried out by the company.
Now, with the explanation above, you are now able to know the difference between a finance officer and an accountant in the financial sector.
Financial Officer Salary
The average Chief Financial Officer in the United States earns about $395,059 annually as of February 26, 2022. Basically, the range falls between $300,729 and $502,130. Meanwhile, important factors like education, certifications, additional skills, work experience in the field determine the salary range of a finance officer nationwide.
Financial Officer Qualifications
Before any individual will be appointed as a chief financial officer of any company, he must posses the following qualifications and requirements.
- BSc degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- 5 years minimum years of experience as a finance officer or related finance role
- Solid knowledge of financial regulation and accounting procedures
- Unique analytical and sharp time management skills
- Have solid experience using financial software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in advanced MS Excel skills too
- Possess strong attention to detail
- Strong ethics, with an ability to manage confidential data
- Professional qualification as a CFA/CPA will be a bonus
In general, the above-explained the basic qualifications a finance officer should have before applying for the post of financial officer in any organization.
Financial Officer Skills
Finance officers depend solely on outstanding knowledge to do their job. The reason is they have to be experts in the special tax and financial regulations of the company which they are employed as chief officer. However, they should also have an expert level of financial acumen, because a balanced and calm mind helps in this high-pressure position.
Meanwhile, below are other skills hiring managers always consider when looking for individuals for the post of finance officer:
- Ability to comply with all financial regulations
- Must have a strategic mind and a keen awareness of the company’s budget to create concepts and strategies for revenue growth
- Ability to collaborate with other financial managers on budget strategy decisions
- Ability to analyze company financial performance and help in data visualizations preparation to help strategy suggestions
- Must know how to negotiate with the finance officers of other companies to facilitate mergers and acquisitions
- A formal accounting qualification
- Ability to communicate well
- Problem-solving skills
- Solid knowledge of IT software
Generally, brush up on your financial-reporting skills and cultivate the ability to think beyond your limit. Meanwhile, learn to broaden your skillset which is your ability to establish a beneficial career in finance that stands the test of time. As a finance officer, you should be able to know your functions. However, As a business or company, it’s good to know the best finance officer job description and financial officer qualifications for notice.
In addition, if you find this article interesting and educating, do us a favor by sharing it with your family and friends. Thank you!