Table of Contents Hide
Confectionery Business Meaning
Confectionery business means the making/selling of sweet foods, for example almond paste, bitter chocolate, boiled sweet, lolly, cotton candy, Easter egg, sherbet and lots more.
This article is going to be a step by step guide if you are looking to setup a confectionery business with no experience.
There are three broad categories of confectionery business.
- Baker’s confections: These are sweet foods that contain flours for instance cakes, doughnut, sweet pastries, scones and cookies.
- Sugar Confectionery: There are two types of sugar confectionery and both are well packed in sugar, they are boiled sweet and fondant.
- Boiled sweets are sugar and water boiled till no water is left and enamel mass is formed after it’s cooled off.
- Fondant is used to for cake decoration, filling in cookies and chocolate, fondant is soft creamy saturated sugar syrup. It’s prepared by adding glucose syrup or an inverting agent to a boiling sugar solution while stirring as it cools off fast. Examples of sugar confectioneries food are sweets, chewing gum, sweetmeats, candied nuts and candy.
- Chocolate confectioneries: The world of chocolate is broad, chocolate can be either melted or tempered and used molded, spread, dipped into and chilled or sculpted.
Starting a Confectionery Business
Confectionery business industry is versatile and there are a number of things you need to bear in mind when intending to startup a confectionery business for example, there are specialized training schools for the craft which includes snacks shop business, bakeries and a lot more.
The industry is broad so therefore pick a niche and have a comprehensive researched carried out on both your competitors, and your consumers’ needs and demographics.
Confectionery business startup process includes:
- Setup a business plan
A confectionery business plan should have a detailed operational and financial strategic plan, an executive summary that would outline the details of the confectionery business proposal.
The executive summary will include the vision, mission, core values, objectives of the business, management team and their profile, and the financial projections.
This very essential as it would determine your sales and reach. Pick a location that is close to your suppliers and buyers.
The outlook of a location is the center of attraction, if your confectionery business is over the counter sale, it’s important to design the displayed areas, the reception and package your entrance to attract your targeted audience.
In your business plan highlight on the types of confectionery products/services that are available in the industry but with attention giving to the product your choice of products and service.
It is important that you indicate the special product that you intend to offer and the ingredient it contains for instance if it contains nuts, for some people are allergic to nuts.
In the section you will concentrate on the manpower you will need for each department of the business, which will include bakers, crafts designer, accountant, human resource, marketers, sales department and media department, inclusive should be estimated wages per individual duties.
There are special equipment used in the confectionery business with special skill for operation, list all the immediate equipment’s that is imperative for starting and putting a price to it will help investors if there are any to understand the cost implications of starting a confectionery business.
Before setting up a confectionery business research and visit the state base government approved regulatory agency office, health agencies and bakery and confectionery association to inquire on the necessary documents needed to get licensed and permits for operation.
Bear in mind that every food establishment has its standard requirements and policies that must be adhered to and if any is defaulted may lead to seizure of license of operation or payment of heavy fine.
More information of how to acquire permits and license are available online.
- Business Logo/Name
Naming a business is a very difficult task and that goes with branding. The logo is the first branding of the business so it has to be eye catchy aside having a tasty product.
- Legal Entity
Starting a business can be a huge task especially if you are financing it on your own. This is where you choose what type of business entity you want to establish.
It could be a Limited Liability Company (LLC) where your personal assets are protected in case of any legal issues that may arise in future, a sole proprietorship where you finance the entire business yourself with your savings or a loan or a partnership company where the cost is shared among two or more individuals.
- Marketing Strategy
The confectionery business industry is very competitive. The best approach to succeeding in the industry is by using the aggressive marketing strategies’. Employing both offline and online advertisement is a necessity in other to reach your target audience and win them over as customers and consumers of your products.
Take advantage of social media, set up a website, open social accounts and it should be under close supervision as that is the face of the brand online, print flyers, face to face adverts, invest in online advertisement and employ opening tasting day.
Every single area of the business is dependent on finance, advertisement takes up to 20% of the initial capital cost, machines, raw materials and lots more, taking a market survey of prices will help in projecting the financial outcome of the business.
Writing out the financial capacity and financial forecast of the company will help sustain the business for a long time.
- No family policy
Family make the business grow, if you don’t put a policy that regulate the control family and friends have over the company it may shut down in no time.
As long as they are not your business partners, employees or in any decision making position, they should have limited or no influence over the company.
Confectionery Business Ideas
- Candy Making: you can make different types and sell them online or offline on a whole or retail which is all dependent on the startup capital.
- Dessert Cart: this is a mobile truck that wheels you around and you get to display and show off your confectionery skills/products.
- Farmers market: though it’s known for healthy food but already made confectioneries products are sold as well but not by many which creates room for less competition.
- Dessert Delivery Service: you can set up a website or social accounts with menu to choose from, customers will choose and place order for delivery, with this your business is not buy over the counter it’s online based.
- Gift Basket Service: in the gift basket you can fill it up with as many confectionery products as possible and based on order, this service are high in demand during valentine, Christmas or festive season, it can be a perfect gift for birthdays.
- Confectionery Blogging/Vlogging: creating a website for blogging or a YouTube channel for tutorial class is in trend and you can make so much from Google Ad Sense ad or by promoting special ingredients.
Confectionery Business Names
No matter the type of size or type of confectionery business you want to start you will want to name it and it should also stand out. Before picking a name there are things to consider.
- In naming your confectionery business it’s important to have a description of what you do in it.
For example Yummylicious candy, chocolate by sandy & Mark, pizza hut or sweet bites, etc.
- Ensure that your confectionery business is short, easy to pronounce and simple to spell.
- Before settling for a name share a list of names that resonate with you with your potential clients, friends and family, based on their feedback’s and whichever ones that made it to top 3 is where you should pick from.
- Look at exiting names of confectionery shops and get ideas, ensure you don’t name yours similar to their as this may land you in a legal battle in the future.
- You can visit name generator for assistant when picking a name for your confectionery business.
Confectionery Business Card
A Confectionery business card should be simple and it should contain only essential information’s like name and business name, email address, phone number, business logo, etc. A business card is a fast way to dispense your business contact.
Below are some samples of confectionery business card, you can visit Freepik for more card samples.
How to Start a Confectionery Business from Home
In 2009 the National Confectionery Association released a report stating that the billion dollar industry a 3.7% gain. If you are looking to start a confectionery business from the comfort of your home here are a few tips to guide you.
- Regulations: check with the department of health and zoning office in your local state what the prerequisite for starting a confectionery business from home.
No matter the size of the confectionery business you’re starting you will need to get a home license permit as long as you intend to sell the products.
- Name/Logo: your confectionery business name should be sweet in the ears, quick to remember and catchy, same name should be used for your social handles and website that means it should be easy to spell as well.
Create a logo that will represent your brand and also will be the image on your customize packaging.
- Supplies and Equipment: whatever you will need as raw materials and equipment for processing your products should be purchase, you are not required to use your personal kitchen tools for your home confectionery business.
- Packaging: confectionery products are big on packing, while getting the best. Ensure that you are using the approved packaging materials by the government. Employ the service of a good designer who has the knowledge of government policies and also should be creative.
- Set up system that will help you keep track of inventories (supplies, finances, waste and deliveries).
- Marketing: choose what works for you online, offline or both. You can setup a website and social accounts where you can sell your product from. Display beautiful photos of your finished products and ensure to update the website and social accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok, and YouTube) regularly. Print flyers for distribution, advertise your business face to face as much as possible and invest in ads.
- Finances: research the current cost of items that you need to start up the business and keep record of money spent. Setting up a home confectionery business will be low but if you don’t have it you can get a loan or get one or more partners who will share the capital responsibility.