Table of Contents Hide
- About Auto-Owners Insurance
- Customer Service at Auto-Owners Insurance
- Features and Coverage
- Auto-Owners Insurance Discounts
- Auto-Owners Insurance Group Car Insurance
- Auto-Owners Homeowners Insurance
- Auto-Owners Home Insurance Cost Comparison
- Banned Dog List for Auto-Owners
- Auto-Owners Insurance Group Life Insurance
- Ratings for Auto-Owners Insurance Group Insurance
- Pros and Cons of Auto-Owners Insurance Group
- Additional Policies Provided by Auto-Owners Insurance Group
- Auto-Owners Insurance Careers
- Our Methodology
- Auto-Owners Insurance FAQ’s
- What is the rating for auto owners insurance?
- Is auto owners insurance a Fortune 500 company?
- What states does auto owners insurance operate in?
Auto-Owners prioritizes cheap rates and individualized customer care. Auto-Owners Insurance is only accessible through independent agents and cannot be purchased straight from the company. The auto-owners insurance company does, however, have a few modern advantages, like a smartphone-based driver safety rating program that can result in considerable discounts for the safest drivers. Customers who purchase Auto-Owners Insurance might save money by bundling their policies. However, because the company lacks robust internet facilities, you can’t acquire an estimate, sign up for coverage, or file a claim online. Additionally, the company is only offered in 26 states, so if you live outside of its coverage area, you may need to seek coverage elsewhere.
Find out more about Auto-Owners Insurance Group, the home, car insurance, discounts, policies and determine if it’s the correct company for you.
About Auto-Owners Insurance
Auto-Owners Insurance is an old-fashioned company in many ways. The only method to buy insurance from it is through an independent agent who lives and works in your region, and the majority of your interactions with the company will take place through that agent rather than online.
This is a significant benefit for people who prefer a close relationship with their insurance agent: If you have any questions about your policy or need to file a claim, the person on the other end of the phone will know your name and the specifics of your policy. And this framework translates to excellent customer service. The company consistently ranks first in the industry for claims service and client interaction.
Furthermore, Auto-Owners’ rates are very competitive. A common fear when working with an insurance agent is the risk of paying excessive rates because there is a middleman to pay. However, Auto-Owners’ rates were competitive with other auto insurance providers, so this should not be a concern for prospective clients.
The main disadvantage of Auto-Owners is that it is not offered nationwide: Despite being formed over a century ago in Lansing, Michigan, the company today operates in only 26 states.
However, for customers who are eligible to get coverage, Auto-Owners has another significant advantage worth mentioning: its extraordinary dependability. The company constantly earns the highest financial ratings available, demonstrating a high level of fiscal discipline and implying that it will be around to cover its consumers for a long time.
Customer Service at Auto-Owners Insurance
The ability to work one-on-one with a local independent agent who is intimately versed with the regulations and insurance requirements in your area is a distinct advantage of choosing Auto-Owners for your car insurance. While your experience with an independent insurance agent may vary, Auto-Owners’ customer service consistently receives top rankings from its clients. When interacting with Auto-Owners, you should be reasonably certain that you will be treated with respect.
Auto-Owners also provides the majority of the regular customer service options seen with big insurers, including online invoicing and account access, a mobile app, and 24-hour roadside assistance.
Customers who prefer to speak with a human being as little as possible in order to manage their car insurance may wish to look into alternative carriers first. Many major policy-related actions, such as filing a claim, amending your policy, or canceling your insurance entirely, cannot be completed online; instead, you must contact your agent. (If your claim is an emergency and your agent is unavailable, you can contact Auto-Owners directly through their 24-hour hotline.)
Features and Coverage
Auto-Owners Insurance includes all of the regular and optional coverages you’d expect from a carrier, such as liability, comprehensive, and rental car coverage. It also offers a Personal Automobile Plus Package, which combines various additional coverages for a single payment. The bundle includes a number of bonuses and extra coverages that you won’t find anywhere else. Keep in mind, however, that you cannot purchase these additional coverages separately. It includes coverage for:
- Cell phones that have been misplaced or damaged
- Expenses incurred as a result of identity theft
- Your personal belongings have been stolen from your car.
- Audio and video equipment that has been damaged or stolen
- When your vehicle is disabled, your trip is halted.
- Expenses for transportation when your vehicle has been taken
- Expenses and bail bonds incurred as a result of a traffic offense
- Costs of additional transportation
- Non-owned trailers have been damaged.
- Rekeying a lock
- Deductibles may be waived or decreased in certain circumstances.
- Gap coverage for rental cars
Furthermore, Auto-Owners offers conventional collision and comprehensive coverages, but there are a few additional benefits when compared to other businesses’ coverages. These advantages include:
Advantage of collision coverage:
If you have an accident with another Auto-Owners client, the company will waive your collision deductible. And damage caused by an accident with an animal will be covered by either collision or comprehensive coverage, depending on which benefits the policyholder more.
Common loss deductible:
If your home and car are both damaged in the same occurrence and are both insured by Auto-Owners, the insurance company will reduce your deductible. You will not have to pay your auto deductible if it is less than your personal property deductible. If your auto deductible is larger than your personal property deductible, Auto-Owners will deduct your personal property deductible from your auto deductible, leaving you to pay only the difference.
Rental car insurance:
If you get into an accident while driving a rental car, your own car’s coverage limits apply, Auto-Owners will also cover any rental company costs or expenses.
Auto-Owners also offers the following coverages:
|How it works|
|Liability||Pays for damage to the other driver’s car and their medical expenses when you are at fault in a collision.|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||Pays for damage to your own car and medical bills if the other driver in a collision doesn’t have sufficient insurance.|
|Roadside assistance||Covers you whenever you have a problem with your car while driving, which could include providing a tow or extra gas or fixing a flat tire.|
|Medical payments/PIP||Covers your medical expenses in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.|
|Additional expense||Covers the cost of a rental car or other incidentals if your car is damaged in an accident, up to a certain dollar amount.|
|Lease/loan gap||Pays the difference between the replacement cost and how much you owe on your lease or loan.|
|Diminished value||Pays you for the decreased value of your car after it’s in an accident, even after repairs are made.|
Auto-Owners Insurance Discounts
Auto-Owners Insurance provides its customers with a typical set of discounts, most of which are tied to bundling several policies, paying your payment early or on time, and following safe driving behaviors. All of its discounts are quite standard for car insurance companies, but Auto-Owners’ already-low prices mean that your monthly premium might improve from good to fantastic.
Related: BEST CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES REVIEWS
- Discounts for multiple policies: Customers who acquire additional policies from Auto-Owners, such as life and home insurance, can expect to save the company on their insurance. In addition, the company provides discounts for insuring numerous vehicles on the same auto policy.
- Multi-car discounts: If you insure two or more vehicles on your policy, you may be eligible for a discount. Drivers with a favorable loss history may be eligible for cheaper premiums.
- Early payment discounts: Auto-Owners compensates customers who pay their invoices on time or early. You can get a discount if you pay your account on time for 36 months in a row, as well as if you pay your annual premium in advance. Furthermore, if you seek your insurance quote far in advance of the policy’s effective date, you can save money right away.
- Drivers whose vehicles are equipped with safety equipment: such as airbags and car alarms will see a reduction in their premiums. Drivers who enroll in Auto-Owners’ TrueRide system, a usage-based program that monitors driving behaviors via a smartphone app, would benefit as well. (TrueRide is only available in Ohio and for invited drivers in a few other states.)
- Green discount: Customers that choose paperless billing and pay their bills online can receive a premium discount.
- Discounts for teen drivers: Families with teen drivers can lower their premiums by taking advantage of Auto-Owners’ good student discount or placing a GPS monitor in a car used mostly by a teenager. You’ll also be eligible for a discount if your adolescent driver is attending school more than 100 miles home and does not have a car.
Auto-Owners Insurance Group Car Insurance
While Auto-Owners is not the largest carrier in the country, they do provide low premiums in return for a wide range of coverage options and excellent customer service.
Types of Coverage
Auto-Owners offers a comprehensive selection of car auto insurance coverages. The following are standard coverages:
- Personal injury liability
- Liability for property damage
- Motorists who are uninsured or underinsured
- Medical expenses
- Personal injury insurance
- Roadside assistance
- Additional cost
- Loan and lease incompatibility
- Value reduction
- Additional Personal automobile.
The company also provides various extra coverage benefits, which include:
- The deductible for a collision with another Auto-Owners client has been waived.
- Deductible for common losses
- Automobiles for rent
Cost of Auto-Owners Insurance Group Car Insurance
In the United States, the average yearly cost of car insurance is $1,674, which equates to a monthly premium of $139.50. Customers with Auto-Owners Insurance can anticipate paying an average annual cost of $1,351, or $113 each month, which is roughly $300 less than the national average.
Keep in mind that your costs will be determined by a variety of criteria, including your car, driving history, age, creditworthiness, and the quantity of coverage you choose.
Auto-Owners Insurance group Discounts on Car Insurance
Auto-Owners provides numerous methods to save money on your auto insurance policy. The following are current discounts:
- Multiple policies
- Multiple life insurance plans
- Payment history on time
- Billing without paper
- Estimate in advance
- Several automobiles
- Safety features of automobiles
- Deductibles are quite high.
- Loss history that is favorable
- Excellent student discount
- Student absent from school
- Monitoring of teen drivers
Auto-Owners Homeowners Insurance
Auto-Owners Insurance, founded in 1916, insures about 3 million policyholders. So, Auto-Owners, headquartered in Lansing, Michigan, is the nation’s 12th largest home insurance company. Although the Auto-Owners Insurance Group is not the largest provider of homes insurance, it has a lot to offer. There are numerous coverage alternatives available, as well as low annual costs.
Auto-Owners homeowners insurance covers the same categories of coverage as a standard homeowners policy:
- Dwelling coverage pays to repair or rebuild your home and any related structures (such as a deck) that are damaged as a result of problems covered by your policy (such as a fire).
- Other structures coverage will pay for the repair or replacement of detached structures on your property, such as a fence, shed, or garage.
- Personal property coverage pays to repair or replace your personal possessions if they are stolen or damaged by a problem covered by your policy, such as water damage from a broken pipe.
- Liability insurance compensates people for bodily harm and property damage. For example, suppose you shot a golf ball through your neighbor’s picture window by accident.
- Additional living expenses coverage covers for expenses such as restaurant meals, pet boarding, and hotel bills if you are unable to reside in your home due to a situation covered by your policy.
You can add optional coverage to your home insurance policy, such as:
- Guaranteed cost of home replacement If the cost of rebuilding your home exceeds your policy limits, this coverage pays the whole amount.
- Specialized personal property coverage provides additional coverage for personal belongings such as misplaced or lost items, as well as those that have been vandalized or ruined.
- Homeowners + is a collection of coverage options that compensate for issues such as appliance leaks and food deterioration caused by power outages.
- Identity theft expense coverage reimburses you up to $15,000 for expenditures incurred in restoring your identity.
- Water backup from sewers or drains compensates you for damages to your home (such as furniture, walls, flooring, and electrical systems) caused by a water backup.
- Ordinance or law coverage pays to bring your property up to code if local laws or regulations mandate construction, demolition, or repair.
- Mechanical and electrical failures of equipment such as heating systems, air conditioners, computers, and major appliances are covered by equipment breakdown.
Auto-Owners sells a variety of home insurance policies, including home, condo, renters, rental residence, and mobile home insurance.
Do you require additional liability protection for your family? You may want to consider purchasing umbrella insurance from Auto-Owners to extend your liability protection beyond the limits of your home insurance policy.
Cost of Auto-Owners Insurance Group Home Insurance
The average Auto-Owners’s homeowners insurance policy is $1,165 per year, with a monthly payment of $97. These rates are lower than the national average of $1,312 for annual homeowners insurance. Your prices will be determined by a variety of criteria, the most important of which is the level of coverage you have.
Discounts for Auto-Owners on Home Insurance
It may be as simple as snagging a few discounts to reduce your home insurance price. Here is a list of Auto-Owners home insurance discounts:
- Discount for several policies: If you sign up for other Auto-Owners insurance products (such as car insurance), you will receive a reduction on your home insurance price.
- Discounted protective gadgets: If you have smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, and deadbolt locks in your home, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Discount on automatic backup generators: You may be eligible for a discount if you have a backup generator.
- Discounted water shut-off system: You may be eligible for a discount if you have a system that automatically turns off the water supply when a leak is detected.
- Mortgage-free savings: You are eligible for a discount if you no longer have a mortgage on your home.
- Loss history that is favorable: You may be eligible for a discount if you have no history of home insurance claims.
- History of payments: You may be eligible for a discount if you have paid your home insurance premiums on time for the last 36 months.
- Green offers a discount: You can earn a discount if you pay your bills online and choose paperless billing.
- Paid in full with a discount: When you pay your policy in full, you can save money on your premium.
- Discount for advance quote: You can earn a discount if you are a new customer and seek a policy quote before the policy’s start date.
Auto-Owners Home Insurance Cost Comparison
Here’s how Auto-Owners compares to competitors in terms of home insurance premiums.
|Average annual home insurance cost|
Banned Dog List for Auto-Owners
If you own one of the following dog breeds, you may be ineligible for Auto-Owners coverage: Akita, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Chow, Doberman Pinscher, pit bull, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, wolf hybrid, or any dog that is a mix of one of these species.
Auto-Owners Insurance Group Life Insurance
Auto-Owners Insurance Group, in addition to auto and homeowners policies, provides a variety of life insurance policies.
Types of Coverage
Customers can pick from three forms of life insurance from Auto-Owners:
This is the most fundamental type. You pay a monthly fee in exchange for life insurance coverage for 10, 20, or 30 years. If you die within the policy term, your beneficiary receives a lump-sum payment for the amount of your coverage. Many financial advisors only propose term life insurance.
#2. Universal life insurance
This combines the advantages of term life insurance with the advantages of an investment vehicle. When you pay your monthly premium, a portion of it goes toward your death benefit coverage, while the remainder builds cash value that you can withdraw or borrow against later.
#3. Whole life insurance
Just like universal life insurance, combines a term life policy with a cash value component. You are guaranteed an annual return on your cash value with whole life insurance until you surrender the policy by withdrawing the money.
Cost of Auto-Owners Insurance Group Life Insurance
A healthy 30-year-old female with a 30-year term and $500,000 of coverage could expect to spend around $475 per year, or $39.58 per month, for term life insurance, according to an estimate from an Auto-Owners Insurance Group independent agent. Remember that your rate is determined by a variety of factors, including your age, gender, health history, hobbies, occupation, and the amount and length of coverage.
Auto-Owners Insurance Group Life Insurance Discounts
The single discount offered to Auto-Owners’ life insurance clients is the multi-policy discount, which lowers your insurance premiums if you have numerous policies with the company.
Ratings for Auto-Owners Insurance Group Insurance
There are several well-known organizations that rate insurance firms in order to assist customers in selecting the best insurer. J.D. Power, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and A.M. Best are among these groups.
“Checking A.M. Best financial strength ratings is always a smart idea because these reflect an insurer’s financial health and ability to pay claims,” said Alice Stevens, an insurance specialist with Best Company. “The majority of competitive insurers get high ratings.” It’s also a good idea to look at your insurer’s NAIC Complaint Index Score. This number can assist you in determining whether the insurer has a higher-than-normal or lower-than-normal complaint rate, which is useful to know before acquiring a policy.”
Auto-Owners Insurance Group Auto Insurance
J.D. Power: 890/1000
Industry Average: 872/1000
NAIC: 0.64 (Fewer complaints than average)
A.M. Best: A++
Auto-Owners Insurance Group Home Insurance
J.D. Power: 889/1000
Industry Average: 881/1000
NAIC: 0.41 (Fewer complaints than average)
A.M. Best: A++
Auto-Owners Insurance Group Life Insurance
J.D. Power: Not rated
NAIC: 0.49 (Fewer complaints than average)A.M. Best: A+
Pros and Cons of Auto-Owners Insurance Group
- Customer service that is highly rated: Auto-Owners Insurance excels at customer service. J.D. Power has given the company an above-average rating in both home and auto insurance, and it has received fewer complaints from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners than its competitors (NAIC).
- Full-service insurance: Auto-Owners provides about every sort of insurance imaginable. You may easily purchase all of your plans in one spot rather than from various insurance firms.
- Personal contact with agent: While the insurance market is increasingly moving online, some customers still want the personal touch. You will work with an independent agent for all of your insurance requirements as an Auto-Owners customer.
“In many ways, Auto-Owners Insurance is an old-fashioned company,” said Damien Knight, CEO of small business software Worker. “Its sole method of purchasing insurance is through an independent agent who lives and works in your area, and that person will handle the majority of your transactions with the business, not the firm’s website.”
“This is a significant plus for those who want to talk to an insurance agent,” Knight added. “If you ever have a question about your policy or need to submit a claim, the person on the other end of the phone will know your name and policy information.” And this structure translates into exceptional customer service. “The company consistently rates best in claims service and customer interaction.”
Auto-Owners, unlike most insurance providers, does not allow you to do anything on their website. You cannot obtain a quotation, enroll in coverage, or file a claim online. Instead, you’ll have to deal with an insurance agent directly.
Not accessible in every state: Auto-Owners only operates in 26 states, which means that their policies are unavailable to almost half of the population.
“Calling an agent can also take time away from your busy schedule when you know exactly what you’re doing because you can’t make claims online,” said Ben Reynolds, founder and CEO of the investment site Sure Dividend. “There is also limited availability because Auto-Owners Insurance is not available in every state.” As a result, if you move to another state that does not give Auto-Owners Insurance coverage, you will need to find another insurance company.”
Additional Policies Provided by Auto-Owners Insurance Group
Auto-Owners offers additional types of coverage to assist protect you and your family from financial loss in addition to its home, auto, and life insurance plans. Other insurance coverage options include:
- House for rent
- The mobile home
- Valuables and property
- Off-road vehicle and ATV
- RVs and motorhomes
- Vehicles for auto
- Control failure
- Commercial awning
Auto-Owners Insurance Careers
As an Auto-Owners’s colleague, you will have the opportunity to grow in our accredited Great Place To Work® environment, while also benefiting from a secure, lucrative, and investing in you workplace. As an Auto-Owners affiliate, you will receive the following benefits:
- Working fewer than 40 hours per week
- Educational possibilities
- Working in a Great Place To Work® certified environment
- On-site dining that has recently been remodeled (Lansing location)
- Prospects for advancement
Please visit http://www.auto-owners.com/career-center/career-opportunities to discover available positions with Auto-Owners Insurance.
We rated home insurance companies based on a number of criteria, including their levels of protection, customer service, and cost.
Rates for home insurance (50 percent weighted) based on national averages for each insurer. Quadrant Information Services is the source.
Complaints against homes insurance were upheld by state insurance departments (20% weight). The National Association of Insurance Commissioners is the source of this information.
The availability of extended and/or guaranteed replacement cost coverage (20% weight), which is critical in the case of a major disaster, when construction materials and labor costs tend to skyrocket.
Banned dog lists (10% weight), which exclude homeowners from coverage. (A company’s prohibited dog list may not apply in all states.) While any homeowners insurance company may prohibit any dog with a history of biting, not all prohibit specific breeds.
Insurance is an important component of your financial picture. Having the proper insurance plans in place protects you from financial loss and guarantees that unexpected situations do not have long-term financial consequences.
“Insurance can assist safeguard your financial stability when unexpected costs happen,” Stevens explained. “The insurance company will help pay for insured losses rather than you covering them completely alone.”
Auto-Owners Insurance Group provides a diverse selection of insurance products, allowing you to purchase all of your coverage from a single insurer if you like. Because of its hands-on approach, it really excels when it comes to client satisfaction.
If you desire customized attention, Auto-Owners may be a good choice. However, because you can’t browse for a policy or file a claim online, it’s probably not the perfect insurance company for people who prefer a company with comprehensive digital tools.
Auto-Owners Insurance FAQ’s
What is the rating for auto owners insurance?
Auto-Owners is a Fortune 500 company and is rated A++ (Superior) by the AM Best Company, a nationally known independent insurance rating body.
Is auto owners insurance a Fortune 500 company?
Since 2003, the company has been a member of the Fortune 500. Auto-Owners Insurance was ranked 320 in 2020. Since 1972, Auto-Owners has been awarded A++ (Superior) by the AM Best Company, a nationally known independent insurance rating authority.
What states does auto owners insurance operate in?
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin are the states in which they operate.
- BEST CAR INSURANCE COMPANIES REVIEWS
- BUSINESS INSURANCE: Definition, Types, Example, Cost & How it Works
- BUSINESS INSURANCE COST: How Much Do Business Insurance Cost
- HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE: Companies, Quotes and Buying Guide.
- Life insurance for seniors: What are the affordable life insurance for seniors in 2022?