Table of Contents Hide
- Accounting and finance definition
- Difference between accounting and finance
- List of accounting and finance courses
- Careers in Accounting and finance
- Top universities for accounting and finance in the world
- Accounting and finance degree salary
- Accounting and finance jobs
Looking for accounting and finance jobs? Or perhaps you want to start a career in accounting and finance?
Then, you have come to the right blog post.
This blog post will give you detailed information about the world of accounting and finance and also, a list of all the courses you should take, as well as jobs available for those interested in accounting and finance.
Accounting and finance definition
Let’s have a brief introduction, shall we?
Accounting is defined as “the measurement, processing, and communication of financial and non financial information about economic entities such as businesses and corporations.”
While, finance is defined as the management of large amounts of money, especially by governments or large companies.
Difference between accounting and finance
While accounting and finance may go together, there are key differences to note.
According to Wikipedia, accounting or accountancy is the measurement, processing, and communication of financial and non financial information about economic entities like businesses, corporations.
While finance is a term for matters regarding the management, creation, study of money and investments.
It deals with the questions of how and why an individual, company or government acquires the money needed – called capital in the company context – and how they spend or invest that money.
The difference between the both of them is:
Accounting has to do with focusing on the day-to-day flow of money in and out of a company or institution.
It is more about reporting accurately what has already happened and the compliance with laws and standards involving the money in an organization.
Finance on the other hand, is a broader term that has to do with the management of assets and liabilities and the planning of the future growth of a company or organization.
Accounting looks at a company’s past financial transactions, while finance looks forward to plan future acquisition of assets.
Both are very important in running a business successfully.
If you want to study accounting you can expect to take classes in accounting practices and accounting ethics, business law, tax law and accounting theory.
While if you choose to study finance, you’ll likely spend some time on macroeconomics and international finance in your classes, as well as on financial engineering and corporate finance.
List of accounting and finance courses
Accounting and finance courses and certifications help you show your proficiency in that field.
It shows that you have put in the time and effort to expand your knowledge and skills.
It’s easy to get a college degree these days, and hence those degrees are becoming less valuable.
Therefore, attaining a professional certification will help you stand out from the crowd.
Below is a list of the courses and certifications that will prove your competency:
1.Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA)
2. Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
3. Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
4. Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
5. Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
6. Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
7. Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
8. Financial Modeling and Valuation Analyst (FMVA)
9. Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
10. Financial Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA)
Careers in Accounting and finance
In case you’ve wondered what you can do with your accounting and finance degree, here’s a full list of prospective ways you can start a career in accounting and finance
They can otherwise be helpful if you’re looking out for accounting and finance jobs.
That is, they will be a guide in showing you job opportunities open to people who studied accounting and finance.
Being a chartered accountant isn’t limited to one discipline; you can take your career and diversify by specializing in other areas including auditing, taxation, corporate finance, etc.
2. Chartered Certified Accountant
They provide a wide range of accountancy services.
These include: developing and maintaining financial and accounting systems, financial forecasting, and auditing financial records.
3. Chartered Management Accountant
They prepare, develop, and analyse financial information for an organisation’s management team and provide strategic advice to management colleagues.
4. Investment Banker
Investment banking relates primarily to helping large organizations access the capital markets to raise money that will be useful in expansion or other needs.
5. Retail banker
Retail bankers assist individuals and small businesses with financial services ranging from loans and mortgages to savings and investments.
6. Tax adviser
A tax adviser works with individuals and companies, and tries to create the best tax strategies for them.
They specialize mostly in corporate, personal, international, inheritance tax, VAT, national insurance, and trusts and estates.
Top universities for accounting and finance in the world
According to World University Rankings, below is a list of the top universities for accounting and finance in the world today:
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
3. Stanford University
4. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
5. University of Oxford
6. University of Cambridge
7. University of Pennsylvania
8. University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
9. University of Chicago
10. New York University (NYU)
11. London Business School
12. Columbia University
13. National University of Singapore
14. Yale University
15. The University of Melbourne
16. Boccioni University
17. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
18. HEC Paris School of Management
19. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
20. The University of Manchester
Accounting and finance degree salary
According to Salary Explorer, a person working in accounting and finance in Nigeria earns around 349,000 NGN per month.
Salaries range from 141,000 NGN (lowest salary) to 701, 000 NGN (highest salary, actual maximum salary is higher.)
Accounting and finance jobs
Find below a list of all the available accounting and finance jobs in Nigeria today.
1.Accountant needed at Rose Ehille Enterprise in Lagos
2. Accountant needed at Eye Foundation Hospital in Lagos
3. Upstream Accountant (Oil and Gas) needed at Fosad Consulting in Lagos, Nigeria.
4. Accountant needed at Tecpoint Global Solutions Limited in Lagos.
5. Finance Manager needed at Shell in Lagos
6. Assistant Accountant needed at Paga in Lagos.
7. Project Accountant needed in Erp Soft App in Lagos
8. Accountant needed at Alan & Grant in Lagos.
9. Junior accountant needed at Ascentech in Lagos.
10. Senior Accountant needed at an automobile company called Irecruiters Africa in Lagos.
11. Accountant needed at ZETA group in Lagos
To find more job openings, click here to see the full list.
Share this blog post to your social networks by hitting the share button!